We hope that this finds you and your family in good health. Our community has been through a lot over the last few months and we are all still coming to grips with the Covid-19 pandemic and the events triggered by it. We are all looking forward to resuming some of our normal routines. We want to update you on our office, it’s re-opening, and the steps we are taking to ensure we do everything possible to keep our patients and our team healthy.
While our office has been closed, Dr. Felty has been very busy working on the American Association of Orthodontists Covid-19 task force which includes orthodontists, epidemiologists, microbiologists, office engineers, and scientific researchers to help review the current science around SARS-CoV-2 and work toward creating recommendations for safe treatment environments in orthodontic offices. This wealth of information is continually changing and Dr. Felty is as up-to-date as possible.
We may need to make some changes to how many patients can be in the office at a time and what procedures can be completed during certain periods of the day. To that end, we would like to reassure everyone that the health and safety of our patients, team members, and community is of utmost importance to us. We have always, and will continue, to follow all guidelines recommended to us by our College regulatory body as well as guidelines issued by the CDA and the CAO. We have also established some new protocols at least for the time being, to help minimize the risk of transmission during this pandemic. In addition to the stringent disinfection and sterilization procedures we normally do in our office, we are enacting the following measures as we continue our efforts to keep everyone who comes into our office as safe as possible.
- Before leaving for your appointment, please make sure you brush your teeth and use the restroom. Our tooth brushing stations in the clinic will be closed for the time being and the hallway bathroom may be closed from time to time due to cleaning protocols the building has undertaken. Please do not eat or drink anything after you brush at home, if there is too much food stuck around the brackets when you arrive, we may not be able to advance your wires as planned.
- When you arrive for your appointment, we ask that you call our office at 778-757-2029 to let us know that you have arrived. You will be asked a few screening questions at this time.
- If you or a family member are not feeling well, have had a fever in the last 48 hours, have shortness of breath, coughing, sneezing, loss of smell, nausea/vomiting or have traveled outside of Canada in the last 14 days we ask that you contact our office to reschedule your appointment.
- Once we are ready for you or your child’s appointment, we will contact you and are asking that only the patient enter the office. If you are a new patient, or your child can not attend their appointment alone, we request that only one parent accompany the minor to help align with BC’s social distancing guidelines. Unfortunately no other family members or friends will be allowed inside.
- For those coming into the office, it is appreciated if you wear a mask, as recommended by our provincial health officer. If you do not have your own, a simple facial covering like a scarf would work.
- Once inside the foyer, a clinical assistant will take your temperature with a no-touch thermometer. If the recorded temperature is over 100.4F the appointment will be rescheduled after the recommended 14 day self quarantine requirement. Please refrain from taking any fever reducing medicines for 12 hours prior to the appointment for us to obtain a more accurate reading. Please do not eat or drink anything very hot or cold 30 minutes prior to the appointment. Patients showing signs of illness will be asked to reschedule their appointments.
- We will ask you to maintain the 6 foot social distancing guidelines when in the office until seated in the treatment chair.
- We will have you use our tooth brushing station to wash your hands before being seated.
- Patients will be seated in the clinic to maintain social distancing.
- Patients will rinse with a 1.5% hydrogen peroxide mouth rinse at the chair before certain procedures. Rinse for 1 minute and then spit back into the cup which will be given to you where an assistant will then suction it.
- When your appointment is over, we will either book the next appointment directly with the patient, or give you a call to book it.
- We have temporarily reduced the seating in our waiting area to assist with social distancing.
- We have removed all items (toys, magazines, pillows, decorations) from this area that can not be wiped down.
- We will not be providing our normal coffee and tea station during this time.
- We have installed a “sneeze guard” at our front reception desks.
- We will be trying to remain as digital as possible and reduce the exchange of any paper in the office. Printed receipts will not be available right now, instead they will be emailed directly to you. Please make sure to update your contact email in our system.
- We have installed dividers between some of our chairs in the clinic.
- We have increased our HVAC flow to help better circulate and clean the air.
- You will also see an enhanced use of suction and a reduced use of handpieces (drills).
- We will take the temperatures of every team member, including Dr. Felty, upon arrival at work. Any team member with a temperature over 100.4F will go home immediately.
- Every team member will answer the health questionnaire that our patients are required to answer, and will do so every day. If any answer disqualifies the team member, they will be sent home following the same procedures we are asking our patients to follow.
- You will see an increased use of protective equipment depending on the type of procedure being performed. You may see a face shield or gown being worn by clinical staff over their normal mask and eye protection. Our front staff may also be wearing masks.
- We won’t be doing our normal handshakes, high fives, or hugs right now to help keep social distancing protocols, but know that we are super excited to see you!
We are so grateful for every one of our patients, and this time away has only served to make us more thankful for each and every one of you. We appreciate your understanding and patience, and encourage you to reach out to us with any questions or concerns. You can view our WorkSafeBC Covid-19 Safety Plan here.
The Abbotsford Orthodontics Team,
Dr. Felty & Dr. Dueckman
Alex, Bobbie, Carolyn, Chloe, Coral, Dawn, Donna, Julia, Lana, Lindsey, Maddie, and Stef